March 13, 2012

Looking Up

Hit up Home Depot for $10 worth of conduit pipe, pipe connectors, re-bar and netting, and ended up with this vertical gardening support. Pretty much followed the directions from "All New Square Foot Gardening," as best as I could remember them.

Everytime I hit that re-bar another inch into the ground, I held my breath hoping not to hit any utilities. Victory!

I'll be interested to see if it can hold up under the weight of my melons.

I just got supplies for one since I was sure to screw up the first one in one way or another. More to come though -- we are out of horizontal space so at this point the only way to go is up.

Don't really have a great before pic. This is the closest I can get:

The frame is now in the bed on the right. Previous frame was made of old tomato stakes, which is also what my square foot grid is at this point. That's next on the list. Well, maybe not next but it is on the list.

Like my current organic grass/weed killer? I'm planning to put the world's skinniest raised bed there and going to try to grow something using the fence as support. Sunflowers, maybe, though they might get so tall they shade the beds. Perhaps Zinnia or cucumber?

No comments:

Post a Comment